[ Home | Contents | Post | Reply | Next | Previous | Up ]
From: Steve Stacey
Date: 04 Aug 2003
Remote Name: 65-73-19-196.dr1.atm.al.frontiernet.net
Mars Hill Methodist Church was situated in eastern Monroe County, AL. near the present intersection of U.S. 84 and Monroe County 136. The nearest community is Dottelle, known in those days as the Knowles Settlement. In 1871, Jeremiah Carnley was recorded on the membership roll. In 1878, Celia Carnley joined the church. The church burned in 1889 and was rebuilt 1 mile west and renamed Woodlawn Methodist Church. The land was donated by Samuel Riley Kelly. This land was inherited from his father, Samuel Kelly, who purchased the land on December 11, 1830 from Lewis and Louisa Carnline, Monroe County Deed Book (illegible) page 109. Source: Woodlawn Church records.